Thursday, April 24, 2014

Widgets

Try New Things

I have a rule: be as self-reliant as possible, and always ask for guidance before you ask for help. This rule is rooted in the fact that most things are far from being as difficult as they seem, and can be done with much more care personally than by an employed force.

When most people hear the term self-reliance they think of things like emergency preparation, food storage, freedom from debt, and things of that nature. But when I use the term I have a much broader perspective.

I believe that a person should be able to do almost anything without the aid of others. While the aid of others is well and good, one should be able to survive and prosper without them. Hence, my rule.

Construction tasks (at least simple ones, such as framing, painting, tiling, plumbing, assembling, electrics, etc.), tailoring, farming, auto mechanics, and many other odds and ends types of things are skills which should belong to every person. Many tasks that people pay an arm and a leg to have accomplished for them, could be done privately for much less money and greater quality, if only people would choose to acquire the skills to do them. And that is where my rule comes in. If you can, do it yourself or with the hands-on tutelage of another. Never allow something to be done without learning how to do it yourself.

At current, I am creating a new centerpiece from Voyala's (my royal python's) terrarium, one which will provide for her as long as she lives. The process to build and prepare it has been much simpler than I expected, yet it has opened up a learning opportunity for me in regards to the chemical natures of polystyrene foams, expanding foams, grouts, mortars, silicone, sealants, paints and glues. With the knowledge I have gained, I will forever be able to construct decor pieces of any fancy for only a tiny fraction of the cost in time and money I would expend otherwise. To illustrate, for a pre-made piece similar to that which I'm building would cost upwards of $200; however, the piece I am building is completely customized and will cost in total a mere $30. You can't argue against that, can you?

Never be afraid to learn new things or get your hands dirty. It will save you money and could possibly save your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment